Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Steven Spielberg just couldn't get enough. I'm gonna talk at you about that.

So, if you aren't an adult-child who spends all of their time perusing cartoons and cartoon-related news, this may blind side you a bit. Especially if you were lucky enough to be a kid in the 90s.

Now, of course, this is a rumor at the moment, but it seems that the success of Animaniacs on Netflix has caught the attention of Warner Bros. Animation, who's portfolio of rebooting their classic cartoons has been... Touch and go. Largely, their direct to video Tom and Jerry movies aren't all that abysmal, and the Looney Tunes Show from 2012 was surprisingly, refreshingly good. But than we have to deal with the fact that they're making Fred Flintstone and George Jetson team up with the WWE to save the respective days, which is dubious enough as it is. And than there's...

Not to be discussed in civilized
conversation.

Well, thankfully, the success of Animaniacs on the streaming platform has also caught the eyes of Steven Spielberg and Amblin Entertainment, who I'm convinced carried 75% of the weight that was Warner Bros. cartoons in the 90s. This is important because it seems that the original executives for the show have gotten back together and seem to be talking about bringing the Warner Brothers (and sister Dot, naturally) back for brand new hijinks. And this is a wonderful thing on multiple levels.

Quit lying, you know you're ready
to relive this all over again.

Obviously being that this is a rumor (and even if it were officially confirmed), any real, solid information on what direction this will go is, well... Nonexistent. But you know im not shy about opening my mouth and offering opinions anyway. So to me, if you couldn't tell from my demeanor before, this is just the bee's knees. But getting back to WB's track record of reboots, I'm going to remain as cautiously optimistic as my inner 90's child will allow. Also, in an animation culture where shows like Steven Universe are what's in demand, one should also consider how well the antics of Slappy Squirrel will resonate with today's animation consumers.

My hero. <3

On the other hand, one of the virtues of Animaniacs is that they have a very deep understanding of pop culture, and aren't afraid to throw relevant punches when they're gonna be funny. And there's a lot of material for the writers to work with these days... 20 minutes of scrolling through the news should be everything they'll ever need.

On the whole, though, I think if this does come to fruition, I don't see why or how a new generation of Animaniacs could fail entirely. The evidence is in the fact that the show continues to resonate with audiences on Netflix, despite that some parts of it clearly show their age. We might be seeing some real TV magic in the making, folks.

I for one am ecstatic to see more of...
whatever the heck is going on here... After 20 years.

But remember... This is all only a RUMOR.

So in the meantime, if you want your fix, hop onto your Netflix account and get binging. Or, I guess you could just look it up on YouTube, if being cheap and low quality more your speed (like me. Some days). For now, I'm gonna stop this here and hop onto Netflix and relive the glory days of 90s TV animation.

Expect me to talk about this more as more news unfolds!

PS: an open letter to WB animation and Amblin: if you need animators for this thing, I will Forrest Gump my way across the country to help you bring this thing to life. I should probably do something with my animation degree, and this project has my name on it.

Pictured: me, the half second I see
a listing for animator on this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me your thinks about this. But be warned - I read all of the posts before I let them pass :o